Thread: AI Possession Suggestion

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default AI Possession Suggestion

I want to discuss the AI using possession. I'd like to hear suggestions besides my own on their own ideas on how we could get this to work. Though nothing to complicated.

Here's my idea...

When the AI computer has nothing to do, he possesses the creature with the highest threat. Then it checks the overall threat value of the enemy's creatures as well as a possible route. If there is no route, he will depossess and try again later (That time will be defined by the keeper)

If the overall enemy threat is less than 4 times the creature's threat, he will then march onto battle alone. If the overall enemy threat is between 4 times and 5 times, he will pick the second highest threat in his army and begin marching off.

If between 5 and 6 times the original's creature's threat, it picks his third biggest unit and so on. If, however, the threat is bigger than 10x the original creature's threat, the AI will unpossess and discontinue the attack.

When he attacks with his grouped creatures, it will act as if there is a Call to Arms at the Dungeon Heart of the Enemy. Meaning that he and his grouped followers will move forward to attack. He acts like any ordinary creature, but the difference is the normal possession bonuses (Faster recharge time, more damage, etc)

He will leave the creature's body when the enemy is defeated, if he loses more than 90% health in the creature's body. He will then attempt to grab all his creatures and drop them in the lair.

----

I don't think it is too complicated, but if it is it is at least doable. What do you all think?
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Default Re: AI Possession Suggestion

just a note here, a computer does not have to "posses" a creature - it's all maths to it.

when the AI is controlling a creature it has more to do with XY coordinates of it than "seeing" through the eyes of the creature in question.

Yeah I know, just is much easier to say possess than what you did. Good to know someone's at least paying attention to this.

I prefer we have some AI with the spell though, because once I did a Force Possession on a creature for a Computer and he just sat there, the AI didn't really do much. He sat there til I killed him.

Tesonu is napping!

Think of the overall value of your suggestion.

Does the possession influence the gameplay dramatically? No. Will it bring lots of pain to dev's? Hell, yes.

You will merely pay attention to it ingame. Unless... (thinks for a bit) Well, there IS another opportunity. But once again, think about implementation. It is basically, writing 2 different AI's for the game, AI in AI, WTF?!

I'd say, AI possession has to go.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Hapuga View Post
    Think of the overall value of your suggestion.

Does the possession influence the gameplay dramatically? No. Will it bring lots of pain to dev's? Hell, yes.

You will merely pay attention to it ingame. Unless... (thinks for a bit) Well, there IS another opportunity. But once again, think about implementation. It is basically, writing 2 different AI's for the game, AI in AI, WTF?!

I'd say, AI possession has to go.
    It was an idea... though I can see why it was never implimented. Oh well... maybe we can get other spells to work fine.

Tesonu is napping!

I'm not blaming you =) I'm just showing that it is very difficult to implement. The actual idea of having an action game inside Strategy with RPG elements.... Think about it. Actually, nobody somehow notices this, but Bullfrog guys did quite a breakthrough.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif