Thread: The Doppelganger

Default The Doppelganger

This not a suggestion for a new creature, but more a suggestion for a new skin for the Rogue. Seing that the Rogue and the Thief have way too many similarities which are pretty obvious by anyone who has played the game... (Both become invisible, both look 100% human, both use knife)

As much as i like the rogue, i think it should look more creature-like.

The Doppelganger

Doppelgangers are strange beings that are able to take on the shapes of those they encounter. In its natural form, the creature looks more or less humanoid, but slender and frail, with gangly limbs and half-formed features. The flesh is pale and hairless. Its large, bulging eyes are yellow with slitted pupils. A doppelganger’s appearance is deceiving even when it’s in its true form. A doppelganger is hardy, with a natural agility not in keeping with its frail appearance.

Doppelgangers make excellent use of their natural mimicry to stage ambushes, bait traps, and infiltrate humanoid society. Although not usually evil, they are interested only in themselves and regard all others as playthings to be manipulated and deceived.

Its natural form a doppelganger is about 5-1/2 feet tall and weighs about 150 pounds.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM...MM35_PG67b.jpg
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...ngerRogue2.jpg
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/eb_gallery/82084.jpg
    http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...gon6/Serin.jpg
    Fun-Fact:
    In the books of D&D, the favored class for a Doppelganger its Rogue, coincidence?

The Core Idea
    To change the skin of the rogue from DK2 for something that:
    -Has more background
    -It looks more a lot more creature-like
    -It has for name a creature rather that a class
    -Has much potential to developed into something diferent from the Thief (Shapeshifting, Mind reading, read below)
    -Fits perfectely in the world of WFTO.

The Secondary Ideas:
    These ideas come from the description of the Doppelganger itself in D&D, but i considered not as important as the core idea itself, but still its something that can be used nicely.

1.- Shapeshifting
    According to the D&D Books, Doppelgangers are natural shapeshifters, they can change form into any humanoid that is they're size or smaller.

This can be used for example: Doppelganger can shapeshift into humanoids that has no special traits or are bigger than the doppelganger:
    Ex: Fireflys (they fly), Giants (bigger than him and walk into lava), Salamanders (Walk into lava), Skeletons and vampires (They are undead)

And by shapeshifting they:
    1.- Inherit only the appearence
    2.- Inherit the skills of the creature (only skills, not level or stats except for speed)

Doppelganger shapeshift will be revealed by the keeper when he used Sight of Evil on the area where he is.

2.- Mind Reading
    According to the D&D Books, Doppelgangers can continously read thoughts.

I really find this one hard to apply as a unit ability in the Game, but i got an idea:

While Possessing a Doppelganger, they can detect the precense of creatures behind walls or beyond they're range of vision.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As i said before, those are Secondary ideas that can (or can't) be developed or can be changed wherever the people think about them.

But the important idea its to give the rogue a more decent appearence (and name) more sutiable for a keepers dungeon.

Rejected because: Another rogue idea - Kyle
    Last edited by kyle; October 19th, 2010 at 20:26.

Default Re: The Doppelganger

The rouge was my favorite thing brought by DK2. nothing is more under handed than sneaking up behind his lordliness and planting a knife in his back,and this creature sounds like a better fit for DK than the rouge. so I think the Doppelganger should be in WTFO.
    mind reading could be used in possession mode as a spell, you can cast it on a creature to gain map info about its lair and job
    example scan a Mistress you will see her lair and the torture chamber. I cant see all the possibilities this creature has to offer, it will be crap if improperly used,however The Doppelganger could be unstoppable in the hands of a good possession style keeper.
    Last edited by ragegun; October 12th, 2010 at 15:20.

A doppleganger is an evil twin. Anyway, I would prefer the Rogue to come back. Prefferably looking like some kind of ninja, like the Elite Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Lord Proteus View Post
    A doppleganger is an evil twin. Anyway, I would prefer the Rogue to come back. Prefferably looking like some kind of ninja, like the Elite Rogue.
    Who says? It could just be a shape shifter.