Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gremlin

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

Default Gremlin

Small imp-sized neutral creatures with a violent taste for blood almost as big as its malicious talent for mischief. Gremlins usually move in small groups and are surprisingly good flankers when in numbers. They also have the ability to sabotage/disable traps which can quickly become frustrating. What can be even more annoying is their knack for avoiding death, whenever their health drops below a certain point they will flee, extremely fast as they are, and avoid all creatures until their health has recovered thanks to their passive ability to quickly regain health.

Health: Medium
    Attack: Medium-Low
    Defense: Medium-Low
    Armour: Low
    Accuracy: High
    Speed: Medium-High/High
    Intelligence: Medium
    Wage: Moderate

Prospective Skills
    Level 1 - Melee
    Melee is a close-range attack for medium-low damage.

Level 1 - Self-Heal [Passive]
    This passive ability is the most important in the Gremlin arsenal. Although not always evident or particularly flashy, without it Gremlins would quickly fall prey to even the weakest of creatures.

Level 3 - Disable Trap
    A short-range melee ability which nulls traps until they can be examined and reactivated by a troll or fellow manufacturer. When disabled a trap has a small glittering "X" with a strike through it revolving above it. They can also use this on some lesser types of doors to bar them open so allies (not common enemies) can pass. This is particularly useful when escaping prisons.

Level 4 - Repel Creatures
    A short-ranged spell that pushes all surrounding creatures 2-3 squares back allowing the gremlin to escape. They usually use this just before fleeing. This spell looks like a thin clinging ring of mist pushing out from the creature. It could be likened to a very weak Word-of-Power.

Level 8 - Disable Trap [Ranged]
    The ranged Disable Trap special allows Gremlins to target traps traps from a medium distance which is particularly useful against those protected by barricades or Fear Traps. It has quite a long recharge but is positively infuriating when they band together in groups.

Fighting Style
    Gremlins are fast flankers who, though small, are pretty good fighters. They work in numbers and take pleasure in causing mischief. They are extremely hard to kill because they will instantly flee when they drop below half health and will then proceed to avoid all creatures until they regain full health thanks to their passive ability to regain health. They will also flee if stronger units like dark angels, mistresses, vampires, black knights, knights, giants, bile demons or horned reapers enter the fray. They love disabling traps not hidden behind protective barricades and make a point of doing so.
    Gremlins also possess a unique brand of defensive magic which they can use to great effect to give themselves breathing space when escaping or avoiding other creatures.
    Gremlins are weak against Fear Traps until they hit level 8 as they can't get close enough to disable them. At level 8 they gain ranged disable which also works against traps with barricades in front. Gremlins are also unable to deactivate boulder traps although they can take out trigger traps just fine.

Jobs
    -Train

Loves
    Gremlins love mischief and get kicks from disabling traps. They are also very social and like other gremlins though they don't mix with other creatures. They also love wide open spaces. Gremlins also love chasing imps round the dungeon which means that if you have a small pack it becomes very difficult to get some work done.

Hates
    Gremlins hate manufacturers and it is mutual. The also hate it when another gremlin is angry and if one gremlin is upset than chances are that others will follow.

Obtainable by
    Gremlins are obtained by torture, temples and world-builder. Their temple sequence are as following:
    Imp+Goblin+Imp = 1 Gremlin
    Imp+Fairy+Imp = 1 Gremlin
    Goblin+Troll+Create Imp = 2 Gremlins

8 Gremlins = 4 Goblins, 1 Troll, 1 Fairy, (see Mentor Quotes)
    Behavior in Dungeon
    Gremlins don't manufacture or research, but will train. They need only a single to chicken to sate their hunger. When unhappy, gremlins will steal manufacture crates and hassle your imps. If angry they will scout and then rebel, and thus leave your dungeon and head back to the wild. If a hostile or neutral Gremlin is left in your prison it is only a matter of time before it breaks out by climbing the prisons walls. They like chasing imps which tends to stop imps doing assigned work.

Hang-out Group
    Gremlins hang out with other gremlins.

Lair
    Lairs? Gremlins are hyper-active little things and don't need sleep.

Mentor Quotes

"Your Gremlins can't reach the handles of doors in your dungeon. They demand imp-flaps."
    -Mentor

"Your Gremlins are angry. Issue your creatures with steel-capped boots."
    -Mentor

"Your Gremlin have risen up against you and set up a small revolutionary state in the vicinity of one of your hatcheries."
    -Mentor

"Your Trolls have invented a new game involving their hammers and one of your Gremlins."
    -Mentor

"Keeper, your Gremlins decided to try synchronized swimming in your temple. None survived, but you appear to have discovered a new temple recipe. Nicely done, Keeper."
    -Mentor

"Wild Gremlins are sabotaging your traps!"
    -Mentor

"A Gremlin has stolen a manufacture crate!"
    -Mentor

"A Giant just clubbed one of your Gremlins; He swears it was self defense."
    -Mentor

"Your Gremlins are working on a revised fitness plan for your imps, Keeper."
    -Mentor

"A Gremlin has found an entrance to a strange land inside one of your chicken coups... clean them out more regularly, Keeper."
    -Mentor

"Bitter inhabitants of this realm have vowed to rid themselves of oppressive outsiders and have set up an insurgency... and yes, they are two feet tall."
    -Mentor

Overall Summary
    To quickly summarize all, Gremlins are incredibly fast flankers which work best in mobs or groups. They are weak alone. Gremlins are workshop-orientated but do not manufacture and are loathed by those that can, mostly because they are tricksters and are the penultimate when taking on any defense thanks to their disable trap abilities. Gremlins also despise manufacturers.

Gremlins are neutral creatures and are notoriously tricky, hard to pin down and defeat. They will run from any force containing more powerful mid-to-late game creatures or if out-numbered. They will not be challenged by any trap defenses you can put up as they can easily disable them. They do, however, have a weakness against Fear Traps until they level up enough to gain the ranged disable. This won't really help you take them out unless they can be somehow trapped. Barricades may also be effective for a while, but these aren't always possible.

Overall in terms of combat power, a lone gremlin doesn't stand a chance. A pack can be an effective fighting force against early-game creatures, but would succumb easily in a straight fight with even mid-game creatures. The strength of the Gremlin, thus, as a neutral creature is not in sheer power, direct force or lethality like most neutrals, but in the ability to stay alive and continue to be a thorn in your side for the long term. Gremlins favor attrition

Good evidences of Gremlin's persistent knack for survival include their rapid passive heal (like imps but faster), their habit of climbing out of prisons, their speed and willingness to flee if in outmatched and their disable and repel spells which all help survivability.

Gremlins are best deployed in maps with large open caverns with bodies of water and few dead ends.

Gremlins treat imps the same way that cats treat mice. In the wild they will actively kill them or, should they enter your dungeon they will attempt to kill them.

They do not require sleep, and although they self-heal they do still need food.

Hints
    1) If you leave a Gremlin to long in your prison it will climb out.
    2) Gremlins may not need food for healing but it still fills their little tummies.
    3) Anger even a single Gremlin at your own risk as others will quickly follow and the will desert you and head for the wild which in the long run may cause you infinite trouble.
    4) Early on Gremlins have a weakness against Fear traps as they can't get close enough to disable them with their melee disable. Fear Traps are effective against Gremlins until they reach level 8 upon which they gain ranged disable. Use Fear Traps to protect your other traps.

Suggestions

Traps & Doors
    Mirror Trap
    Glass Door
    Arrow Slit/Loophole
    Creatures
    Gargoyle
    Gremlin
    Specials
    Trophy Specials
    Last edited by MeinCookie; September 29th, 2011 at 02:05.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic

Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

Current Awakening Creatures

8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

Gamer IDs

Default Re: Gremlin

Reserved

This is awesome.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Madkill View Post
    This is awesome.
    Isn't he just? They may look like slightly annoying pranksters on the outset... but give them free range and let them rank up a bit and they become positively infuriating as well as almost impossible to combat as you can never really make headway against them .

Somehow I think these should only feature in harder maps.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MeinCookie View Post
    Isn't he just? They may look like slightly annoying pranksters on the outset... but give them free range and let them rank up a bit and they become positively infuriating as well as almost impossible to combat as you can never really make headway against them .

Somehow I think these should only feature in harder maps.
    Hmm... this sounds... familiar...
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Fact is that just about every creature that comes under the banner of fairy is described as "a trickster" whether it be an imp or a gremlin or an elf or a pixie. Most are fast and hard to catch little creatures. The only links there are because they are creatures of the same ilk, i.e. fairies, even if gremlins are on the darker side of the coin.

And as far as I can see that comment is more appropriate for a gremlin then it is a fairy anyway . If you anger gremlins in your dungeon they go back to the wild and cause you a hassle. Their very fighting style makes them hard to combat. They get damaged they flee. Powerful creatures enter vicinity and they flee. Add to that they disable traps and cause a nuisance to workshop creatures. How can that comment even relate to pixies given the scope of their abilities, etc ??

As for personality gremlins couldn't be more different, being workshop orientated (they don't manufacture but are very savvy and their spells lean that way). You need only look at the different scopes of their abilities to see the difference in fighting style and role. Gremlins don't even appear on the Over-world.

THERE IS ALMOST NOTHING IN COMMON!! >={I
    Last edited by MeinCookie; January 16th, 2010 at 03:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    Everything needs its opposite.

Pixie is a Hero opposite and something which opposes the gremlin.

Just like in DKI where Wizard kicked a Warlocks ass and Giants would beat a Bile Demon and Monks would beat Vampires.

Pixies beat Gremlins.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Madkill View Post
    Everything needs its opposite.

Pixie is a Hero opposite and something which opposes the gremlin.
    How can they be? They are as far from opposites as you can get, in DK terms anyway, otherwise > yes they are complete and utter opposites . Gremlins are flankers whereas pixies are support. Pixies can research whereas gremlins specialize in traps.

The only things in common are high speed and the fact the can both be termed pranksters.

No likeness to be seen here folks... none at all

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    Would you mind taking your link and thinly-veiled claims elsewhere??? You're befouling the thread.
    Last edited by MeinCookie; January 16th, 2010 at 08:44.

Thumbs up Re: Gremlin

Quote Originally Posted by MeinCookie View Post
    "Your Gremlins can't reach the handles of doors in your dungeon. They demand imp-flaps."
    -Mentor

"Your Gremlins are angry. Issue your creatures with steel-capped boots."
    -Mentor
    [/URL]
    The mentor quotes made it for me. You have my vote

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Exception View Post
    The mentor quotes made it for me. You have my vote
    Thanks The mentor is the best and most memorable part of DK and the more humorous sayings included in WftO the happier I'll be . I bet the guys at Bullfrog had a heap of fun making them because I do

In other news, I'm going to have to restart the picture from scratch at the top because the file corrupted