Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: The Story

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: The Story

Well, you notice there's a big difference between DK1's Horned Reaper and DK2's Horned Reaper. DK1 he was quite a demon beast and all it was to him was KILL!!! DK2 he seems to think a bit more, and the way you say it seems he is like, divising plans and listening to the higher up doesn't seem like the original actions of the DK1 beast. Besides, if he does divise the plans then... HE STOLE OUR JOBS!!!

Dungeon Keepers plan, not Horny. :P

If you've played my RPG... and even if you had I don't think you'll know what I'm about to say... it was to be revealed later...

The way I see it, the Avatar had pushed away the creatures down to the "Creature Pool" and used a powerful spell to lock them away where they could no longer enter the overworld and wreak havoc as they did previously.

But it was then that the Demon spirits decided to cause the havoc themselves, and took the half physical form known as the Dungeon Hearts. These spirits held power to allow them to surpass that magical barrior placed on the Entrance Portal to prevent creatures from coming up. This is only why a "claimed" Entrance Portal do creatures come up. This is also why they are loyal to the Dungeon Keepers.

The "Portal Max" depends on how powerful the spell on that particular Entrance Portal is. When a Keeper is destroyed, the creatures flee back under into the Entrance Portral to avoid death by the Heroes.

---

King Regy is no Avatar, he does not possess magic at all. But I believe he still managed to force the creatures back down to underground as did the Avatar. I suppose his Wizards used the Portal Gem for that very purpose. And I also figure the Avatar's magic still held tightly even though he had fallen, which is why the creatures still use the Entrance Portal obtained only by those of Dungeon Keepers.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

My version of the WFTO story (or at least the start):

With king Reginald dead the remaining forces of good in his island kingdom crumpled within days. Villages above ground were conquered all at once when the victorious keeper had the last of the portal stones and thus could send his forces through the hero portals to the other side. Those who resisted were killed (or dragged underground by the keeper's imps for a fate worse than death) and the rest were given the choice to continue on with their lives under the new management (he saw no reason to kill them if they paid their taxes and worked hard as long as they worked for him) or they could become a part of said management.
    Unfortunately, all bad things must come to an end and the end of the island kingdom came far too soon.
    The gods (the good ones that is) had witnessed the keeper's might first hand as he took control of Reginald's kingdom. Fearing his power and knowing that he would not be satisfied with one measly island they decided to stop his unholy crusade before he and the dark gods that had no doubt aided him could pose a threat to their righteous and orderly world.
    In their infinite wisdom they decided to sink the island and everyone on it.

(The following is basically the intro I had thought of for the game.)

A storm is gathering above the island, the sky is dark and lightning strikes randomly, starting fires and illuminating the small villages and the ruins of a single, large castle on a mountain.
    Deep inside the dungeon a ritual is under way; a hooded figure is kneeling on the ground in the middle of an intricate seal on the floor while two circles of chanting spellcasters surround him. the inner circle consists of warlocks, the outer circle, mostly obscured by the shadows and their black robes, are vampires. The volume and intensity of the chanting rise as the seal begins to glow. The shape of the seal, if one looks on from above, was that of a circle with four triangles pointing inwards (possession spell symbol).
    Outside on the water the storm gets worse; small and big ships alike are broken apart and sunk by the increasingly bigger waves and a small fishing village is rapidly being swallowed, already partially submerged, by the rising tide.
    Back in the dungeon the hooded figure enters the temple with a group of creatures following him; a mistress, a rogue, a troll, a skeleton and a vampire (who is in his coffin, being carried by the skeleton). Around his neck is Horny's talisman. In the temple there are also a lot of other creatures, all standing by the edge of the huge sacrificial pool. The robed figure grasps the magic talisman, which then starts to glow a strong red, and throws it into the middle of the still body of water. The very instant the object makes contact with the surface the unholy water starts swirling. Slowly bur steadily the sound of rushing water rises as the maelstrom in the pool spreads.
    Outside the storm rages on but the same sound as the one in the dungeon is heard but for another reason entirely; a massive tidal wave starts to form at the horizon, growing bigger as it nears the doomed kingdom.
    In the temple the maelstrom has reached the sides, the pool seemingly endless as the watery vortex seems to go on forever.
    Nevertheless the hooded figure and his band of villains enter the maelstrom and disappear into its depths as the very dungeon, just like the rest of the island begins to shake and tear itself apart from the power of millions upon millions tons of water as the heavens deliver their final judgement on the souls of the place.
    Guilty.

Somewhere on the coast of the mainland the sun starts to rise. Seagulls screech as they look for food as they do every day but this day they are accompanied by another sound; the sound of a heavy hammer dragging itself across rocks as a small pack of strangers (stranger than most by far) enter a spacious cavern that seems to go on forever to escape the sight of the dawning sun.
    One of the strangers pauses for a moment, takes down his hood and turns around. He looks mostly like a warlock but for one exception; his eyes are completely black, betraying the true identity of the soul currently in control of this body.
    The keeper sneers at the sun, mocking the light for its failed attempt to stop him then turns around, puts his hood back on and disappears back into the shadows where his faithful servants, no, trusted generals awaits his next command with undying loyalty.

The 'generals' part was something I had been thinking about for a while; a way to show the different kinds of evil the different creatures were capable of by putting each of them in charge of assigning different side missions or perhaps even their own quest lines.

Edokage I read your story several times and can vividly imagine it. I think it's really good. Am I right in believing it's like an exodus of the dungeon via a magical maelstrom type portal.

I really like the whole story, I thought of some problems/questions that would need to be answered or changed.

The reason why these maelstroms havn't been used before/can't be used again. Why didn't they just go through the creature portals. ( I think we need some more lore about the creature portals in general to cover this). I think this is the main problem. Maybe it required a massive amount of power.. and only the Portal Gems (now obtained) could provide that (as far as we know). Alas they were destroyed or lost when the island was submerged in water so they can't be used again. -- actually a problem with that might be that I think Horny is supposed to have taken them to his "realm" or something. I guess the Keeper could have asked (demanded) for them

How is the Keeper going to get out of the Warlock? Will they build him a new Dungeon Heart (another thing which we probably need to lay down some lore about)

I hope that some important people/buildings survived this destruction. Namely the Queen(if she exists) and any remaining Princessess/Princes. They could have fled through Hero Portals to another realm. And the Wizard College could have been located in another realm too as I think it may provide a good combat location, at the very least it will probably be needed for any future stories.

Presumeably the good guys think they destroyed the Keeper and the only entrances to their realm, at least the only ones the evil creatures knew about at the time.

I was just thinking I think we might need a reason as to why the Heroes build the Hero Portals, if they are to exist in new places that might not have had demonic creatures to combat. Are they seeking to destroy all demonic forces and thus building Hero Portals to search the under worlds. Maybe they are farming or gathering resources of some kind that can only be found in the deeper depths, like mana? The wizards or elves might need it for magic.

I suppose it makes sense to pick up from where DK2 left off.

But let me just say that we should be careful about how big the story gets. Large Story in this case should stay pretty far away from gameplay. :/
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you are…"

The reason why these maelstroms havn't been used before/can't be used again. Why didn't they just go through the creature portals.
    The maelstrom requires Horny's talisman to work and it is far too big a cost to lose it for everything but emergency travel. It is also the only way away from the island aside from sailing as the creature portals are local travel only (from somewhere on the island to the dungeon)

Alas they were destroyed or lost when the island was submerged in water so they can't be used again.
    The keeper brought the portal gems with him, making it possible to use the hero portals on the mainland. The reason he didn't use the gems before were because there simply weren't any hero portals between the island and the mainland (the only one there was was inside king Reginald's castle and he destroyed that one when the castle was attacked by the keeper). Hero portals are two way portals, connecting two (and only two) hero portals for travel. The ones on the island followed a 'one above and one below ground' principle but they kept all portals on the island.
    How is the Keeper going to get out of the Warlock? Will they build him a new Dungeon Heart
    Short answer: yes.
    The point of the ritual (rather than using the spell) was to prevent the keeper from being affected when all the dungeon hearts were destroyed. When a new dungeon heart is created on the mainland he will exit the warlock at will and return to his previous form (whatever that is).

I hope that some important people/buildings survived this destruction. Namely the Queen(if she exists) and any remaining Princessess/Princes.
    The island was completely destroyed and all people on it killed (presumably, there might be a few survivors but no one of importance). Think of it as if it was the British Islands that were destroyed; the British royal family might have died but that doesn't mean that the Spanish or Swedish royal families are gone too. As for the queen; she might have been somewhere else at the time and as such still lives.

I think we might need a reason as to why the Heroes build the Hero Portals
    If we assume that all evil creatures either live underground or have been exiled there then the hero portals might be a way to make sure they stay there as some kind of border patrol. The border in this case is not vertical but rather horizontal to separate the rest of the world from the dungeons and prevent hell from breaking loose on Earth (figuratively and literally speaking).
    Last edited by Edokage; January 28th, 2010 at 09:38.

That all mostly sounds good to me

Quote Originally Posted by Edokage View Post
    The maelstrom requires Horny's talisman to work and it is far too big a cost to lose it for everything but emergency travel.
    What type of cost is it? Gold, Mana? Is Horny's Talisman drained completely? Did the ritual drain all of the power out of the Dungeon Heart/Dungeon (could that have been the cost).

(the only one there was was inside king Reginald's castle and he destroyed that one when the castle was attacked by the keeper).
    Thats what I had imagined too Probably the Queen destroyed it as she fled and her husband lies dead.

Short answer: yes.
    The point of the ritual (rather than using the spell) was to prevent the keeper from being affected when all the dungeon hearts were destroyed. When a new dungeon heart is created on the mainland he will exit the warlock at will and return to his previous form (whatever that is).
    So this form of possession must cost no mana? Otherwise the Keeper could pop out anywhere. :P How is a Dungeon Heart created? Does anyone have any ideas?

I think the imps create it...
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you are…"

What type of cost is it? Gold, Mana? Is Horny's Talisman drained completely? Did the ritual drain all of the power out of the Dungeon Heart/Dungeon (could that have been the cost).
    The cost is the talisman itself. The keeper would have to find the scattered pieces all over again. (Besides, it isn't an in-game spell just like whatever the good gods did to destroy the island isn't an in-game spell.)

So this form of possession must cost no mana?
    The keeper did possess a spellcaster so whatever little mana it did cost to maintain I'm sure the warlock regained faster. (This version of possession is not an actual in-game spell as the ritual itself is very time consuming and it takes a lot of both warlocks and vampires to actually cast it. The only difference between the ritual and the spell is the maintenance cost and the magical separation from the dungeon hearts so there would be no reason to use the ritual an an in-game feature/spell anyway.)

My opinion is that adding lore to a lore-less game, just makes it seem like we are trying to hard to make it into something it not.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any story. I just start think that it should be kept to a level which feels like it is in the players control. Instead of in the control of something else...

I understand that but we also have to give the land some lore to make the world itself more credible otherwise the story would sound somewhat in the direction of 'once upon a time somewhere that we don't really know an evil being that lived underground tried to take over that place and it did. The end'.
    Not much of a story is it?
    We don't really have much of a choice adding some of the lore; we might be able to reuse the names of places but all the named characters of the old game (I only played DK2 so I don't really know about the first game) are dead (lords of the land and the king) or evil (the princes and horny).
    In my opinion since we can't make a new game without adding some (a lot of) lore that isn't in the old games we might as well do it right when we do.